The Great Lakes Division of the Central Cross Country Ski Association includes the states of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio. Skiers ages 13-19 race locally to qualify for the US National Junior Olympics.
JNQs for the Great Lakes Division are spread out through the Upper and Lower Peninsula of Michigan, and in Ohio this season.
Each region has its own qualifying system of events hosted by a different club or organization to select the best athletes to compete at the US Junior National Championships (JN), but all events share a common goal: to encourage young athletes to enjoy cross country skiing and to develop their skill. Events mix Olympic-style competition with elements of learning and fun for all levels--from beginning racers to those with Olympic aspirations.
Great Lakes Junior National Qualifier (JNQ) Schedule
December 8-9, 2012 (Ironwood, MI) - 5/10km F; 5/10kmSaturday, December 8, 2012
5/10K Freestyle Interval Start
Sunday, December 9, 2012
5/10K Classic Interval Start
Event details: www.wolverinenordic.com
Message From Organizers (12/6/12): Instead of snow, we awoke to above freezing temperatures and wind. Based on current conditions and todayís forecast, it is now clear cut that there can be no race at Wolverine this weekend. The race is cancelled.
January 5-6, 2013 (Boyne Valley LODGE, WalLoon Lake, MI)
Saturday, January 5, 2013
1K Freestyle Sprint
Sunday, January 6, 2013
5/10K Classic Mass Start
Mail-In Registration Form: download
GLD JNQ Points List: view
Message From Organizers : Lodging is available for $75/person. Includes 2 nights, dinner on Sat and Breakfast on Sat and Sun.
January 19-20, 2013 (Chapin Forest Pine Lodge Ski Center, Kirtland, OH)
Saturday, January 19, 2013
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Event Details: view
GLD JNQ Points List: view
Message From Organizers : on Saturday, for J2 there is a 5K field -- they should, however, register for the 10K and we take care of this in bibbing. They should not register for the "5K" as this is an earlier classic race. Both 5K and 10K Skate are mass start Saturday at 10AM.
Sunday's Classic race registration will be handled day of (or Saturday, if racing Saturday) at Pine Lodge Ski Center. Registration fee is $15.00.
January 25-26, 2013 (NTN Forestville Trailhead, Marquette, MI)
Friday, January 25, 2013
5/10K Skate Mass Start
March 11-17, 2013 / USSA Marriott Junior Nationals (Fairbanks, AK)Monday - Freestyle interval start
Tuesday - 3x3 km Classic relay and midweek awards
Thursday - Freestyle sprint
Saturday - Classic mass start 5/10/15 km and awards banquet
For complete list of rules (e.g. Eligibility for Competition, Division Quota, Rgistration-Age Classes, ect.) refer to the 2013 USSA Nordic Competiton Guide, page 28.
C - Classic Technique
F - Freestyle (Skate) Technique
Mst - Mass Start
SP - Sprint
Pursuit - Handicap Start
General Participation Tips
Whether you are new to the Junior National Qualifying (JNQ) races or a returning racer, here are some tips to help you feel comfortable with the process.
- Registration for JNQ races typically closes on the Tuesday before the race. Plan your races and register early.
- Give yourself the highest opportunity to earn a place on the Great Lakes team, and increase your elite racing experience, by participating in all the races if possible.
- If you are on a school team, good communication with your coach is essential. Work together to establish a plan that supports both your school team and your JNQ races.
- The Great Lakes team will be named after the final race in the JNQ series.
- Junior National team members must have a USSA membership as well as a CXC membership. Serious competitors should not wait until February to do this.
- Keep a close watch on the CXC website as race and JN trip details can change rapidly. The website will also be your first source for info on summer camps and clinics.